Prior to European settlement, the Cleveland area was home to the original owners of the land, in particular the tribes making up the Quandamooka people. In this regard, we acknowledge these custodians on the land of the school. We pay our respects to elders,
past, present and future and pay tribute to their wisdom, song lines and the
dreaming for a preferred future together.
Cleveland State School was opened on 27 April 1868, only nine years after separation brought Queensland into existence as a separate colony. There were under 40 state schools in operation in the whole of the colony. Members of the local committee to establish a school settled on refitting an old shop into a school. A new site was established in 1915, the very same land that exists today.
Whilst many students attend Cleveland State School as their local school, many students attend the school as their school of choice travelling from further away to attend. The school has an enrolment of over 700 students.
Our students come from a range of backgrounds and bring a diversity of resources and an enthusiasm for learning to the school. A significant number are well travelled or have lived overseas. Parents engage in a wide range of occupations and have high aspirations for their children. Families work in partnership with the school to enable us to achieve our purpose of enabling each student to achieve personal success and a love of learning through quality education.